For the last 70 years, McNaughton’s has served the Newbury area with appliance, automotive, and renovation products and services. First started in 1948 by Jack McNaughton and his two sons, McNaughton’s has been a story of growth and change, but has lasted as a symbol of small town Ontario competing with the larger urban centres.
McNaughton’s first began by selling farm and auto supplies, growing to also become the largest seller of white appliances in the area. In 1980, McNaughton’s partnered with Home Hardware to sell hardware, automotive and farm related products before Jack’s son, Gary and his wife Susan, bought the business in 1988 and expanded the inventory.
“When we added a new line, we always ensured we added the complete line,” says President Gary McNaughton. “Our philosophy was simple. We wanted people to find what they needed when they came to our store and we wanted to have knowledgeable staff to serve them.”
McNaughton’s was a family run business, with Gary’s sons Mike and Monte, and daughter Nicole working there as well. Eventually, McNaughton’s became a Home Hardware Building Centre, which saw the staff expand from 15 to 40 overnight, and with it came huge growth for the business.
2004 saw the opening of the LCBO Agency Store plus a major expansion of the building side of the business, where a new flooring, kitchen, and décor centre was added.
In August 2016, McNaughton’s was sold to Graham Young, thus expanding the McNaughton family. You can read the London Free Press article featuring this story here.
2018 marks McNaughton’s 70th anniversary and we could not be more excited about what the future holds! We will continue to serve our customers with the best products and services to ensure that every customer leaves satisfied and equipped with the right tools and knowledge for their next renovation, automotive, or farm project.